[Snort-users] PPPoE problem with Snort on OpenBSD 4.7.

Schrodinger schrodinger at ...14960...
Mon Aug 9 15:07:43 EDT 2010

Hello,

I have a problem running Snort on OpenBSD 4.7 with a pppoe interface.

I contacted the maintainer of the port and he suggested I bring my problem
to this mailing list.

I am running Snort Version 2.8.4.1 (Build 38) on OpenBSD 4.7.

# uname -a
OpenBSD supai 4.7 GENERIC#558 i386
#

# pkg_info | fgrep -i snort
oinkmaster-2.0      update your Snort rules
snort-2.8.4.1-mysql highly flexible sniffer/NIDS
#

When I try to start snort on the external interface of my firewall I am
getting:

# snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i pppoe0 -v
[...]
Initializing Network Interface pppoe0

snort cannot handle data link type 51
#

I have made very little changes to the snort.conf so I do not believe
that is the problem.

I am using this ADSL card here: http://traverse.kd85.com/

"Traverse Viking PCI ADSL2+ Modem Card"