[Snort-users] Getting Snort version as bash variable

CoryC oakleeman at ...131...
Wed Aug 4 01:37:39 EDT 2010

Last week someone wrote that they used a script to do automatic updates of Snort. I'm trying to do something similar but am having difficulty capturing the version number as a Bash variable. I can capture the whole version string & ascii art but can't figure out how to manipulate it to give me just the version number. I'm unable to echo the string into a text file either, it shows all the info on the screen.

I was getting it from the snort.conf file but I didn't see it written in the latest version so I thought I'd get it from the -V method.

I've google searched but might be using the wrong terms since I've not had much luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cory