[Snort-users] Problems with Snort, Barnyard2, BASE on SUSE 11

Michael Sloan sloan at ...14851...
Wed Apr 28 15:04:32 EDT 2010

I've tried to set up Snort on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11, and have
run into troubles. I think it might have been working at one point, but
now i think it's stopped but I'm not sure, and not entirely sure I even
compiled and configured everything correctly.

I'm using Snort 2.8.5.3, Base 1.4.5, Barnyard2 1.8, and mySQL 5.0.67

Barnyard2: compiled with --enable-mysql

Snort: compiled with --enable-targetbased (I could not get --with-mysql
to work, and didn't actually peruse the mailing lists until long after I
got everything installed and possibly configured)

In snort.conf:
   output unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128

In barnyard2.conf:
   output database: alert, mysql, user=snort password=TopSecretPassword
dbname=snort host=localhost

mysql reports that the user snort at ...274... has
   SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE on snort.*
   SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE on snort.sensor

Snort is started with:
   /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -d -D -u snort

And barnyard2 is started with:
   /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf -D -d
/var/log/snort
     -f snort.log -u snort

After a couple of weeks, I see that snort.log is 133k, but no alerts
whatsoever have been displayed in BASE. BASE is showing the proper
database name, and user.

I see in /var/log/messages (after restarting snort and barnyard2 today)
that barnyard2 read 706 records from the 133k file. I do not see any
errors in the mysqld logs.

I've looked at installation guides for SUSE 10, Fedora Core 11, and read
enough from different sources that now I really have no idea what could
be wrong and after spending quite a few hours on this over the course of
the last few weeks, I've run out of ideas on what to tweak and change.

Any suggestions or (or requests for further information needed) would be
greatly appreciated.

--
Michael Sloan
Systems Administrator