[Snort-users] Snort isn't logging to snort.log but is to snort.alert

ccie 6862 ccie6862 at ...131...
Sun Apr 25 14:30:47 EDT 2010

Last night I upgraded snort from 2.8.4 to 2.8.5.3. In the process of going over everything, I noticed that I had never uncommented the "output database" line. I added a line to the "preprocessor frag3_engine" to eliminate some noisy alerts and a couple lines to threshold.conf.

Up to this point, snort was logging OK. Now, snort only is logging to the snort.alert.### file but not the snort.log.### file. I don't see any problems in the /var/log/messages file, and I'm not really sure how to figure out what's wrong.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have another question about barnyard, which is also installed. Does the "output database" have to be uncommented in the snort configuration given I'm running barnyard? From reading the documentation, I believe barnyard is duplicating entering the data into mysql; however, I configured this based on some how-to's for installing snort and barnyard.

Thank you.