[Snort-users] rpm vs tarball

Nick Moore nmoore at ...1935...
Fri Apr 23 08:12:56 EDT 2010

Gregory,

While I'm not sure what the rpm compile options are, I'd recommend not using
--with-mysql on the Snort compile. You really should be using Barnyard2 and
compile --with-mysql there.

Unless your training of a remote admin includes building the Snort device,
I'd also like to recommend EasyIDS at
http://www.skynet-solutions.net/easyids/. Comes with everything compiled and
GUI manager installed - if only it used Pulled Pork, it would be close to
perfect.

Happy Snorting,

Nick

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Gregory Zill <gregory at ...14510...> wrote:

> What configure options are usually used in the rpm (ex:
> snort-2.8.5.3-1.src.rpm) versus the source tarball (ex:
> snort-2.8.5.2.tar.gz)? I am asking because I prefer to install with
> --enable-targetbased and --with-mysql but I am training a remote admin and
> thought rpm would be easier, but having second thoughts. Any advice
> appreciated.
>
> --
> “I think we all have a little voice inside us that will guide us… if we
> shut out all the noise and clutter from our lives and listen to that voice,
> it will tell us the right thing to do.”
> ~Christopher Reeve
>
> Gregory W Zill, MBA, CISSP

Nick Moore, SFCE, CISSP, CISA
Sr. Systems Engineer
Voice 708-336-9041
Email nick.moore at ...1935...
IM    nickgmoore (Yahoo)
      nickgmoore38 (AIM)

   ,,_
  o"  )~   Sourcefire - The Creators of Snort
   ''''

www.sourcefire.com         www.snort.org