[Snort-users] Snort inline mode Unable to create netlink socket

Jose Valdivia domingovaldivia at ...11827...
Thu Apr 22 10:16:05 EDT 2010

Hello,

I have a debian box running kernel version 2.6.33.2

I compile from source snort-2.8.5.3 using ./configure --enable-inline,
I can run Snort IDS mode with out problems and alert me correctly.

I'm trying to run it on IPS mode using snort -Q command but I got:

        --== Initializing Snort ==--
Initializing Inline mode
InlineInit: : Unable to create netlink socket: Bad file descriptor

I read it can be related to the Kernel options on netfilter submenu
but I enable all the options already:

more .config | grep IP_NF
# CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ADDRTYPE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_AH=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ECN=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TTL=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ULOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_CLUSTERIP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ECN=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TTL=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_RAW=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_SECURITY=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPTABLES=me
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPFILTER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARP_MANGLE=m

I already try to insert all the modules availble using insmod, but I
still getting the same error, can some please can point me in the
right direction ?? Thanks in advance.

Jose Valdivia
WebSite: http://soad1982.blogspot.com

Let the Linux begin !!!!