[Snort-users] VRT Rules - Download Not Working

Nigel Houghton nhoughton at ...1935...
Mon Apr 12 12:38:19 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Garland, Ken R <garlandkr at ...11827...> wrote:
> I registered more than a week ago and have tried over 30 different times
> since then.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Nigel Houghton <nhoughton at ...1935...>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Garland, Ken R <garlandkr at ...11827...>
>> wrote:
>> > I registered on snort.org
>> > Logged in.
>> > Went to this site - http://www.snort.org/snort-rules/?#rules
>> > Clicked on this link -
>> > http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz
>> >
>> > I get this error:
>> >
>> > 403 Forbidden

>> > Please make sure you're logged into Snort.org.
>> >
>> > If you are logged into Snort.org, you may need a VRT subscription to
>> > access
>> > this file.
>> >
>> > I've tried this many times over different days with different browsers,
>> > same
>> > result. I also setup an oinkcode and tried using oinkmaster, but it
>> > doesn't
>> > work. From oink I get this:
>> >
>> > ./oink.pl: Error: could not download from
>> >
>> > http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz.
>> > Output from wget follows:
>> >

>> >  http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gzResolving
>> > www.snort.org... 68.177.102.20
>> > Connecting to www.snort.org|68.177.102.20|:80... connected.
>> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
>> > Location:
>> >
>> > http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz?oink_code=
>> > [following]
>> > --12:02:07--
>> >
>> > http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz?oink_code=
>> > Resolving dl.snort.org... 68.177.102.34
>> > Connecting to dl.snort.org|68.177.102.34|:80... connected.
>> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
>> > 12:03:11 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.

>> Just tested and I am able to download the file. I'm guessing you came
>> up against the 15 minute rule. Basically, registered users can only
>> download the file once every 15 minutes and you probably exceeded
>> that, try again in a while and see if it works for you.
>>
>> This seems to occur with folks who just registered on a regular basis,
>> not sure why that would be the case, I'll look into it.
>>
>> --
>> Nigel Houghton
>> Head Mentalist
>> SF VRT
>> http://vrt-sourcefire.blogspot.com && http://labs.snort.org/

Garland,

Can you contact snort-site at ...1935... and tell them about your
problem? They will more than likely contact you if they need more
information.

I can put an inquiry in, but it won't be useful since they will
probably need some account information/oinkcode or similar to diagnose
the problem.