[Snort-users] VRT Rules - Download Not Working

Nigel Houghton nhoughton at ...1935...
Mon Apr 12 12:28:59 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Garland, Ken R <garlandkr at ...11827...> wrote:
> I registered on snort.org
> Logged in.
> Went to this site - http://www.snort.org/snort-rules/?#rules
> Clicked on this link -
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz
>
> I get this error:
>
> 403 Forbidden

> Please make sure you're logged into Snort.org.
>
> If you are logged into Snort.org, you may need a VRT subscription to access
> this file.
>
> I've tried this many times over different days with different browsers, same
> result. I also setup an oinkcode and tried using oinkmaster, but it doesn't
> work. From oink I get this:
>
> ./oink.pl: Error: could not download from
> http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz.
> Output from wget follows:
>
>  http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/*oinkcode*/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gzResolving
> www.snort.org... 68.177.102.20
> Connecting to www.snort.org|68.177.102.20|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> Location:
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz?oink_code=
> [following]
> --12:02:07--
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz?oink_code=
> Resolving dl.snort.org... 68.177.102.34
> Connecting to dl.snort.org|68.177.102.34|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
> 12:03:11 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.

Just tested and I am able to download the file. I'm guessing you came
up against the 15 minute rule. Basically, registered users can only
download the file once every 15 minutes and you probably exceeded
that, try again in a while and see if it works for you.

This seems to occur with folks who just registered on a regular basis,
not sure why that would be the case, I'll look into it.

--
Nigel Houghton
Head Mentalist