[Snort-users] Can Snort monitor multiple VLANs on a VM?

elof at ...6680... elof at ...6680...
Fri Apr 9 10:46:55 EDT 2010

I don't really follow your description, but...

If your sniffer NIC receive VLAN-tagged (802.1q) packets, verify if one
unique TCP session use two separate VLANs.

Like: tcpdump -evnli eht0 -s0 -c30    <-- do NOT add any bpf filter

If you see a SYN from A to B tagged with VLAN 1 and the SYN+ACK response
from B to A tagged with VLAN 2, then snort won't create alerts since the
state can't be determined (and usually all rules use flow: established).

This is a common problem with SPAN in HP switches.

However, if both SYN and SYN+ACK are tagged with the same VLAN, snort
should be able to handle the traffic. Make sure you don't use any bpf
filter though! Like if you run snort with the filter "ip and not esp",
then you won't match a single VLAN packet (then you need 'vlan and ip and
not esp').

/Elof