[Snort-users] Help to run snort on linux machine

Nick Moore nmoore at ...1935...
Wed Apr 7 07:40:35 EDT 2010

Try metasploit

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM, sri harsha <harsha536 at ...11827...> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Does anybody know any tool which generates attack packets which are
> stateful in nature and I can use that tool to test snort? I mean it
> establishes the TCP connection and then send attack packets?
>
> Sriharsha
>
> 2010/4/6 Edward Bjarte Fjellskål <edward.fjellskal at ...14590...>
>
>> sri harsha wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I am using snort version 2.8.5.1 and trying to understand how it works.
>> > I posted the same query earlier but did not get enough response. I am
>> > simulating attack packets using tool called snot. This tool generates
>> > attack packets which are basically stateless in nature. I mean it
>> > generates packets without proper 3 way TCP handshake. But snort is not
>> > detecting those attacks.
>>
>> The attacks are not real... they would not have any affect in real life :)
>> IE, how would a ftp attack that needs the user to log in etc, be
>> effective if there is just one stateless packet?
>>
>> Say your tool sends a "mkdir Evil-buffer-overflow" when your ftp server
>> does not handle that packet, cuz you need first to have a 3whs, a login
>> etc.
>>

>> > I am able to see UDP, ICMP packets getting detected but not TCP. I read
>> > snort README and tried various options like require_3whs, detect
>> > anomalies etc in stream5 preprocessor with tcp_track set to yes but no
>> > luck.
>> >
>> > One response I got was snort latest version doesn't detect stateless
>> > attacks and expect the end host TCP stack will take care. But my concern
>> > what if the stack is not capable to handle such attack? Do we have any
>> > way by which we can tweak snort and detect such stateless attacks?
>>
>> You would to rewrite the rules to not be state aware I guess. Like in
>> the old days...

Nick Moore, SFCE, CISSP, CISA
Sr. Systems Engineer
Voice 708-336-9041
Email nick.moore at ...1935...
IM    nickgmoore (Yahoo)
      nickgmoore38 (AIM)

   ,,_
  o"  )~   Sourcefire - The Creators of Snort
   ''''

www.sourcefire.com         www.snort.org