[Snort-users] Best way to deploy snort

Kum Weng Luey kumwengluey at ...11827...
Mon Apr 5 21:51:40 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I was wondering what would be the optimal setting to deploy snort with base
and barnyard. I am thinking of separating the mysql database from snort
itself and place it on a remote server. I am wondering do I need to have an
additional interface for snort ? One interface for sniffing and the other to
push alerts to the mysql server.

One last question: Would snort be better off being placed in the DMZ to
sniff incoming traffic or within the internal LAN between the router and the
firewall.

I am still rather new with this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
KW