[Snort-users] Snort as an anomalous behavior IDS

Willst Mail willstmail at ...11827...
Fri Apr 2 15:21:40 EDT 2010

Jason,
Sounds like you did what I want to do.  Let's say outbound HTTP is
fine but anything else is bad, would your ruleset look something like:

pass tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"Allowing outbound
HTTP"; sid:1000001)
alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Bad traffic!"; sid:1000002)

And from this (contrived and simplified) ruleset, outbound over port
80 is allowed to silently pass and everything else will generate an
alert?