[Snort-users] netflow input

Olivier Bilodeau obilodeau at ...13341...
Tue Nov 24 18:54:58 EST 2009

Hi,

We want to generate alarms on a network based on src ip:port and dst
ip:port criteria. We would like to use snort but the problem is that we
cannot have a snort probe in all the required places (and forget about
span) _but_ we can have netflow sources.

Instead of parsing the netflow ourselves and create our own alarm syntax
we would like to leverage the infrastructure provided by snort.

Is there a way to give netflow traffic to snort?

I did research and here are my findings:

Patch siting in queue[1]
I saw that there was a patch at some point in the past and a post to
-devel[2] but has there been any work towards this lately?

Transform netflow to pcap
I saw some attempts[3] to use tools that support netflow input and that
transforms it to pcap. Then to use snort to process this pcap. I am
aware that a lot of payload information won't be available and I'm ok
with that.

Has anyone done netflow -> pcap -> snort lately?

Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

p.s.: work in that regard will be incorporated in our open source
packetfence project (www.packetfence.org)
[1]http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=303357&aid=932197&group_id=3357
[2]http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=40756546.2050003%40ntop.org
[3]http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20021027224032.GA4032%40columbia.edu