[Snort-users] TCP Portals: The Handshake's a Lie!

Jason Brvenik jasonb at ...1935...
Fri Nov 20 11:12:12 EST 2009

My casual read on it was that you would have to be dealing with a
malicious server which deliberately responds to a syn with a syn and
that the likelihood of that is not the greatest. If it does happen the
server is going to be doing a lot of other more malicious things. My
presumptions are:

- An inbound SYN that is not acknowledging a syn at the same time is
going to be blocked by firewalls if properly configured.

- Even a properly configured border router will be blocking inbound
syn only for non-services ports.

- Any attack relying on local segment access that is a concern means
that you have already failed.

Who would like to provide a server on the net so that people can test
their devices in a full life cycle test? Simple web page returned that
says "It Worked!" would suffice.