[Snort-users] Proxy woes

Tue Nov 17 16:46:18 EST 2009

I'm getting ready to deploy in the same fashion. The X-Forwarded-For
header will work but it will be a PIA digging into every alert to find
it and will make reporting on the number of hosts affected with a
particular bot (or whatever else) pretty difficult. There might be a
good idea for a proxy preprocessor in here somewhere to make tracking
this easier.

on that note...

We currently do not have X-Forwarded-For turned on on our proxy. Is
any one else concerned that it provide internal IP information to
whatever the proxy is forwarding the request to? I guess if the client
has something malicious on it whatever it is will already know what
the internal IP is and could pass that on if it could make use of
it... moot point?