[Snort-users] simple rule to alert when visiting a website

JJ Cummings cummingsj at ...11827...
Tue Nov 17 11:45:55 EST 2009

A few quick notes:

It's generally not a good idea to match against any ports and any source
when you can avoid.. i.e. alert tcp any -> $ebay_servers any.. also, you
will likely be better off using uricontent rather than contrent when looking
for this

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EBAY_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS (msg"EBAY FOO!!";
flow:established,to_server; uricontent:"match this
trash";nocase.......................

The above is how I would approach it, depending on what specifically you are
looking for of course... please read the docs and learn about:

   - port variables
   - general snort variables
   - flow
   - uricontent
   - content

As a side note, once you create your rule(s), you can run them through
dumbpig to see if you made any mistakes or can improve them.

http://leonward.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/dumbpig-automated-checking-for-snort-rulesets/

Regards,
JJC