[Snort-users] 32-bit dynamic rules libraries on 64-bit Linux (Ubuntu)

David Gomes skysbsb at ...11827...
Sat Nov 14 08:01:32 EST 2009

The problem is that u already(maybe) have this dynamics libs in the
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine..

Try removing all the files in these directory and do "make install" again.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Mike Pilkington <mpilking at ...11827...>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've compiled Snort 2.8.5.1 on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 Server.  The build
> process went smoothly as far as I could tell.  But when I started
> Snort, I get the following error:
>
> <snip>
>
> PortVar 'DCERPC_BRIGHTSTORE' defined :  [ 6503:6504 ]
> Detection:
>   Search-Method = AC-BNFA-Q
> Tagged Packet Limit: 256
> /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so... done
> /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/bad-traffic.so... ERROR: Failed to
> load /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/bad-traffic.so:
> /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules/bad-traffic.so: wrong ELF class:
> ELFCLASS32
> Fatal Error, Quitting..
>
> </snip>
>
> I found a posting from 2007 regarding this issue and it seemed to be a
> bug that was fixed in 2.7.0-6
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=439642).
>
> Commenting out "dynamicengine
> /usr/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so", as suggested in the
> posting, does not help.  However, if I comment out all the dynamic
> rule libraries, Snort runs fine.  But of course I'd like to have the
> dynamic rules available.
>
> Any ideas how I this can be fixed?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Mike