[Snort-users] Combine NIDS with HIDS

Stephen Mullins steve.mullins.work at ...11827...
Sat May 30 13:32:15 EDT 2009

You can use Snort in conjunction with a HIDS.  In terms of aggregating
the data, I think you would use an SIEM (Security Information and
Event Manager), like ArcSight, and have feeds from both Snort and your
HIDS into it.

I don't think using a NIDS to cross-check or verify HIDS alerts is
practical.  I think the way to check a HIDS alarm is to remote into
the system and check the file system etc.

You could use the HIDS to cross-check NIDS alerts though, and that
would make sense to me.

Steve Mullins