[Snort-users] VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

Fri May 29 14:48:44 EDT 2009

Does anyone have a shell script that downloads the md5 and compares it to the last one before running oinkmaster.pl that they want to share?

I'm in the "downloading once a day" camp, and I've noticed that this has been failing quite often lately.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandro guly Zaccarini [mailto:guly at ...14592...]
Sent: May 29, 2009 10:36 AM
To: 'Snort Users List'
Cc: Jeff Dell
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:56:01PM -0400, Jeff Dell wrote:
> The problem with once a week is what happens if you check on Monday at 8am
> and the rules are updated on Monday at 8:05? You won't get any updates for 2
> weeks. It would be really great to have something like a checksum that will
> be available to see if there is a change in the rules file.

actually there is an md5 file, and i was thinkin' about asking why VRT
changed its format without alerting users before.
personally, i download daily that md5 file and compare to the latest md5
i've got: if they don't match it means that there is something new.

but we're a bit OT here :)

sz

--
  /"\   taste your favourite sysadmin