[Snort-users] VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Fri May 29 13:56:52 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Jack Pepper <
pepperjack at ...14319...> wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Dell <jdell at ...1095...>:
>
> > The problem with once a week is what happens if you check on Monday at
> 8am
> > and the rules are updated on Monday at 8:05? You won't get any updates
> for 2
> > weeks. It would be really great to have something like a checksum that
> will
> > be available to see if there is a change in the rules file. This way
> users
> > know exactly when an update has occurred and even if they check it every
> 15
> > minutes they will be checking a tiny file as compared to 90megs+ file.
> Then
> > incorporating this into your favorite update utility will make updates
> very
> > fast most of the time as there won't be an update to the file, and would
> > severely lower the bandwidth that snort.org needs.
> >

> Good idea.  If I could download the md5 using the oinkcode, it would
> be very nice.  Like this:
>

> http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/${OINK}/snortrules-2.8.tar.gz.md5

Why would you need an oinkcode to look for the md5?  That's an unneeded
step.

--
joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974