[Snort-users] VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

Jack Pepper pepperjack at ...14319...
Fri May 29 13:12:27 EDT 2009

Quoting Jeff Dell <jdell at ...1095...>:

> The problem with once a week is what happens if you check on Monday at 8am
> and the rules are updated on Monday at 8:05? You won't get any updates for 2
> weeks. It would be really great to have something like a checksum that will
> be available to see if there is a change in the rules file. This way users
> know exactly when an update has occurred and even if they check it every 15
> minutes they will be checking a tiny file as compared to 90megs+ file. Then
> incorporating this into your favorite update utility will make updates very
> fast most of the time as there won't be an update to the file, and would
> severely lower the bandwidth that snort.org needs.

Good idea.  If I could download the md5 using the oinkcode, it would
be very nice.  Like this:

http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/${OINK}/snortrules-2.8.tar.gz.md5

jp

--

Framework?  I don't need no stinking framework!