[Snort-users] VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

Mike Guiterman mguiterman at ...1935...
Thu May 28 15:42:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM, <jlay at ...13475...> wrote:

> > Is anyone else having issues when attempting to download the VRT Snort
> > rules from the new site since the redesign? If I attempt to grab the
> > free 30 day delayed VRT sigs from the below URL, I get an HTTP 403 and
> > the error tells me that I need to log in to the site:
> >
> > http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz
> >
> > However, if I grab the version specific tarball below, the site delivers
> > it to me no problem:
> >
> > http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz
> >
> > --
> > Eoin Miller
> >

> Same here...both snort and community gacked out this morning.  I sent an
> email to the list a week ago about the large size of the snort snapshot
> (86 megs) and got not a single response back ;)  After ripping out all the
> precompiled binaries and txt files, the actual rules themselves compressed
> are about 4 meg.  Maybe one day they be a tarball that's JUST the .rules
> files.  Guess I'll see what happens tomorrow when I try to update again.
>
> James

We had a few reports on this earlier today.  We've resolved the issue on the
403 error anyway.  So downloads should be working properly now.

As for file sizes, there was some discussion last week on the list.  The net
of that discussion was that we're working on ways to reduce files sizes.
There are a couple of options on the table but no decisions yet.

Mike

__
Mike Guiterman
Snort Community Manager