[Snort-users] VRT Rules snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz Download Error?

jlay at ...13475... jlay at ...13475...
Thu May 28 14:37:30 EDT 2009

> Is anyone else having issues when attempting to download the VRT Snort
> rules from the new site since the redesign? If I attempt to grab the
> free 30 day delayed VRT sigs from the below URL, I get an HTTP 403 and
> the error tells me that I need to log in to the site:
>
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT.tar.gz
>
> However, if I grab the version specific tarball below, the site delivers
> it to me no problem:
>
> http://dl.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz
>
> --
> Eoin Miller

Same here...both snort and community gacked out this morning.  I sent an
email to the list a week ago about the large size of the snort snapshot
(86 megs) and got not a single response back ;)  After ripping out all the
precompiled binaries and txt files, the actual rules themselves compressed
are about 4 meg.  Maybe one day they be a tarball that's JUST the .rules
files.  Guess I'll see what happens tomorrow when I try to update again.

James