[Snort-users] Snort insists on writing to .\log\alert.ids

Mark Senior senatorfrog at ...11827...
Thu May 21 13:58:57 EDT 2009

Hello group

I've got Snort running successfully on Windows, logging to MS-SQL. The
problem is that it insists on writing to .\log\alert.ids - no matter
what the configuration file says, as near as I can make out.

If I remove or rename the Snort\log directory, or start with a current
directory other than the root of Snort's installation, I get the
error:

ERROR: OpenAlertFile() => fopen() alert file log/alert.ids: No such
file or directory

There is no output directive in the configuration file that would
point Snort to write to a file.  I want to avoid filling up the
sensor's disk - that's part of why I'm sending alerts to a database
server in the first place.  My only output directive is:

output database: alert, mssql, dbname=snort \
user=(username) password=(password) \
host=(database server) \
sensorname=(sensor) \
detail=fast

I haven't tried installing Snort as a service yet. It's looking for a
log file relative to the current working directory, which hardly seems
a healthy behaviour for a service...

Thanks very much
Mark