[Snort-users] Recent errors on Snort.org and how you can help

Mike Guiterman mguiterman at ...1935...
Tue May 19 12:19:44 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

Many of you have reported some problems logging in to or downloading rules
from Snort.org recently.  The recurring problem the site is experiencing is
related to the volume of downloads of VRT rules update files we're seeing
recently.  We've got two initiatives under way to solve this problem
relatively soon.

   - First the VRT is working to greatly reduce the size of the rules
   files.  You can expect to see improvement in the next two weeks.
   - The second initiative is the release of the new Snort.org site which
   uses an entirely new infrastructure.  The new site is scheduled to go live
   the middle of next week but more on that in a note later this week.

You may be asking your self "how can I help".  In the short term the best
thing each of you can do is look at your Oinkmaster.conf and update it to
download rules files no more than once or twice per day.  As you all know
the VRT releases rules updates, on average about every two weeks and at most
weekly.  We're seeing many sensors downloading rules files every minute.
One Oinkcode has downloaded the same rules file 22,000 times in a single
day.

We know that having the most up to date rules is very important to everyone,
that said downloading the file every minute is a bit excessive.  If everyone
could reduce their download frequency to something a bit more reasonable, it
will make the site and rules updates much more accessible to everyone until
we move to the new site.

Thanks for you help.

Mike

__