[Snort-users] snortrules-snapshot not sustainable?

Seth Art sethsec at ...11827...
Thu May 7 11:19:17 EDT 2009

> Rule packages will be getting smaller in the next couple weeks, as we
> drop some of the other versions.  Additionally after we switch
> beta.snort.org over to snort.org we'll be investigating other ways to
> distribute things.

Looking forward to it.

I second Jason's proposal: snortrules-snapshot-$VERSION-$DISTRO-$ARCH.tar.gz

I just unpacked the snapshot, removed all of the precompiled rules
except for snort-rules/so_rules/precompiled/CentOS-5.0/i368/2.8.4,
left everything else exactly the same, and then packed the snort-rules
directory back up, and it weighed in at 6.5 MB.    That would be much
more reasonable!

-Seth