[Snort-users] Understanding Snort and mysql vs Barnyard and mysql

James Lay jlay at ...13475...
Thu May 7 09:19:28 EDT 2009

So I¹ve been running barnyard2 (on the mac no less) for the last couple
days.  This morning I saw:

07:12:22 gateway org.opensource.barnyard.plist[54590]: database:
mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away
07:12:22 gateway org.opensource.barnyard.plist[54590]: SQL=BEGIN
07:12:22 gateway org.opensource.barnyard.plist[54590]: database:
mysql_error: MySQL server has gone away

I would see this all the time with snort (have a script to watch this and
restart snort..though now I¹ll change it to restart barnyard).  The sole
reason I put barnyard in place was because I thought that Barnyard would
make the above type errors go away.  Was that wrong?  This is on the same
machine, so it¹s not a remote connection.  Am I always going to see these if
I use snort with mysql?  Thanks.

James