[Snort-users] alert suppression

Wed May 6 16:28:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

 1.  I'm not sure.  I didn't even know that this alert could be triggered by a rule instead of the pre-processor.  How would I figure out which rule(s) may be triggering the taq: tagged packet alert?  What's the purpose of this alert?

 1.  I'll take another look at the readme for the dcerpc2 preprocessor.  Maybe I can set some alert suppression for these in the threshold.conf file instead...

Thanks for your help,
Shawn

________________________________
From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...1935...]
Sent: May 05, 2009 4:39 PM
To: Jefferson, Shawn
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] alert suppression

What alert is generating the tag alerts?  Is it a rule, or is it the stream preprocessor?  (grep your rules files for the word "Tag".  I think there is only 1 rule in the VRT ruleset with tag turned on by default.

As for the dcerpc2 preprocessor, take a look at the readme.  It has an "events none" configuration option for your snort.conf.