[Snort-users] SO Rules: More complex rule writing

Ryan Jordan ryan.jordan at ...1935...
Tue Mar 24 13:36:14 EDT 2009

SO rules are written using the C programming language. We give you the means
to write your own function that gets called whenever your rule is checked.
Ultimately, you would still do some computation and report "Match" or "No
Match", but you can get really creative. We also give you functions to
access the detection plugins, so you can check/set flowbits, use PCRE, etc.

I would highly suggest only writing SO rules if you cannot accomplish your
goals with normal Snort rules. For a silly example, if you wanted to alert
when the payload is a palindrome, it would be much simpler to write a
palindrome-checking C function and put it in an SO rule.

For more information about the API, check out the "Dynamic Modules" section
of the Snort manual:
http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_htmanuals/htmanual_2832/node403.html

For a couple example rules, download the Snort source code and look in
"src/dynamic-examples/dynamic-rule/".

If you hit any snags after reading up on this stuff, I'll be here.

--Ryan