[Snort-users] Discrepency between Base and linked packet

Joel Esler eslerj at ...11827...
Tue Mar 24 08:50:32 EDT 2009

We'll need to know more about the setup.  BASE simply reads what is in the
DB.  If it's a parsing issue with BASE, reading out of the DB, then Kevin
can speak to that, however, if the problem lies in the data that is actually
in the DB, then I have to ask how it is getting in there.
Generally Accepted Best Practice is to have Snort log in "unified" mode, and
have an external tool like barnyard or SnortUnified.pm read the Unified
files and put them into the DB.

How is your setup configured?  (Writing from Snort directly to the DB is
never recommended.)

Joel

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Bruno G. San Alejo <bgonzalez at ...14528...>wrote:

>    Hi everyone, I posted like 4 weeks ago something about some problems
> with what Snort logs, what Base shows, and what Base saves as pcap file.
> Maybe that is what you are talking about?
>
>    What I saw was that the packet logged with Snort was the right one.
> The packet logged to the DB had some issues. These could be seen in:
>
>    -what Base shows, for ICMP redirect packets (that was what I was
> focusing on) the id and the seq# were being logged instead of the
> gateway's IP, I submitted a temporary fix that takes care of it and I'm
> currently testing a fix for Snort and Base that will definitely take
> care of this if they are approved. The problem was the way that the
> packet was being parsed and the schema at the DB, which had fields that
> are not present in all the types of ICMP, but that are non null.
>
>    -what Base saves in pcap, wrong MAC addresses and shorter
> timestamps. As you say, discrepancies at the Network, Transport, and
> Data layers. I have not look into this as I am working in the other
> issue, but if no one comments on this one, I'll dive into the code shortly.
>
>    Thanks.
>
> Matthew Babcock wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > A short time back I noticed someone was talking about an issue where the
> > packet downloaded via base had different headers then shown between
> > wireshark and base.
> >
> > The top layers are represented the same in Base and the .pcap. However
> the
> > bottom layers are not correct. The data in the Data Link and Network
> > layers is just wrong, the Transport layer also cites bad TCP Checksums.
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > What was the reason and fix?
> >
> > Also, is the mailing list archived somewhere?
> >

> > Regards,
> > -- Matthew R. Babcock
> > CEO, Principal Consultant
> > A & R Technology Consulting - Providing solutions, not limitations -
> > MBabcock at ...14532...
> > (508) 397-8280

Joel Esler
T: 302-223-5974 (-) Gtalk: jesler at ...1935...
[m]