[Snort-users] Discrepency between Base and linked packet

Bruno G. San Alejo bgonzalez at ...14528...
Tue Mar 24 08:44:12 EDT 2009

    Hi everyone, I posted like 4 weeks ago something about some problems
with what Snort logs, what Base shows, and what Base saves as pcap file.
Maybe that is what you are talking about?

    What I saw was that the packet logged with Snort was the right one.
The packet logged to the DB had some issues. These could be seen in:

    -what Base shows, for ICMP redirect packets (that was what I was
focusing on) the id and the seq# were being logged instead of the
gateway's IP, I submitted a temporary fix that takes care of it and I'm
currently testing a fix for Snort and Base that will definitely take
care of this if they are approved. The problem was the way that the
packet was being parsed and the schema at the DB, which had fields that
are not present in all the types of ICMP, but that are non null.

    -what Base saves in pcap, wrong MAC addresses and shorter
timestamps. As you say, discrepancies at the Network, Transport, and
Data layers. I have not look into this as I am working in the other
issue, but if no one comments on this one, I'll dive into the code shortly.

    Thanks.