[Snort-users] [Snort-devel] About 64-bit snort binaries

Jason Zhao Jason.Zhao at ...5663...
Thu Mar 5 10:37:25 EST 2009

Thank you, Steven!

Steven Sturges wrote:
> Hi Jason--
>
> That option is not required if your compiler builds 64bit
> by default.  If you read the comment in configure.in just
> prior to the checks for that option, it has to do with
> allowing 64bit builds on machines where the compiler does
> 32bit by default.

Yes, I notice that, with "enable-64bit-gcc" during configure,
which will add "-m64" to CFLAGS so that 64bit binary
will be built.
> On 64bit linux systems, you don't have to use that configure
> option to get a 64bit binary with gcc.  I don't have a 64bit
> Solaris system handy to play with, but if you notice, all it
> does is add -m64 to the CFLAGS.
>
> There isn't anything specific in Snort that is relying on
> 32 vs 64 bit.  Pointer sizes would change.
>
> The only real restriction is that the Snort binary and
> the shared libraries must be the same (64bit or 32bit),
> otherwise data structure sizes will likely cause a core
> or other bus error.

Thanks, the 64bit Snort binary depends on 64bit
shared libraries. In this way, there may be some other
utilities depend on the 64bit Snort plugin libraries(
e.g., snort_dynamicengine) as long as those utilities
are developed with 64bit. Do I understand right?

Thanks
Jason