[Snort-users] [Snort-devel] Logging to DB it's done differently than to a file.

Steven Sturges steve.sturges at ...1935...
Wed Mar 4 09:32:40 EST 2009

Hi Bruno--

The other 4 types that have nothing in those 4 bytes where
the Redirect has the gateway IP address, so they skip past
it to get to the embedded IP header.

The gateway address for the redirect is avilable via the
union that is defined in the ICMPHdr structure.  It is in
the same place as the id/seq bytes for other types, so
the data is there, just logged in a strange way.

It sounds like, based on the icmp_type, you want it to log
a 32 bit value, rather than 2 16 bit values?  Can you convert
them on the back-end in BASE or some other post-processing
software?

A change to the database logging for Snort would also require
a schema change.

Cheers
-steve