[Snort-users] win32 ipv6

Jason Tomforde jtomforde at ...14523...
Wed Feb 18 09:31:27 EST 2009

Hello,

I would like to run snort on Windows XP with IPv6 enabled.  I downloaded the
latest win32 installer (Snort_2_8_3_2_Installer).  I added an 'ipvar' to the
snort.conf file but it is not recognized when the application is executed.
The output is as follows:

Running in IDS mode

        --== Initializing Snort ==--

Initializing Output Plugins!

Var '_ADDRESS' redefined

Initializing Preprocessors!

Initializing Plug-ins!

Parsing Rules file c:\Program Files\Snort\etc\snort.conf

ERROR: c:\Program Files\Snort\etc\snort.conf(27) => Unknown rule type: ipvar

Fatal Error, Quitting..

I attempted to build the latest win32 executable using the
snort___Win32_MySQL_IPv6_Release build configuration.  It built fine,
however, when I run the executable I get the following:

C:\Workspace\snort-2.8.3.2\src\win32\WIN32-Prj\snort___Win32_MySQL_IPv6_Rele
ase>snort -i3 -dev

Running in packet dump mode

        --== Initializing Snort ==--

Initializing Output Plugins!

ERROR: (null)(0) The following is not allowed: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

Fatal Error, Quitting..

Please let me know if there is an available win32 binary with IPv6 enabled
OR provide some insight on how to build it with it enabled.

Thank You.

Jason Tomforde

Software Engineer

mZeal Communications