[Snort-users] snort on debian monitor interface dhcp

Gregory Zill gregory at ...14510...
Fri Feb 6 10:44:45 EST 2009

When I manually initiate the monitor (eth1) interface using 'ifconfig
eth1 up promisc' it shows UP but then goes through the dhcp broadcast
and NetworkManager wipes out /etc/resolv.conf and the primary
interface (eth0) loses its default gateway, so I altogether lose
network connectivity to this box. The eth1 interface then shows a
169.254.xx.xx address. Of course, I would prefer no address for the
snort. I would appreciate any pointers in getting the eth1 monitoring
interface to come up without destroying the primary network
parameters. Thanks in advance.

--
The computer you are using has no brain,
therefore you must use your own.

Gregory W Zill, MBA, CISSP