[Snort-users] preprocessors

Matt Olney molney at ...1935...
Wed Dec 16 08:54:37 EST 2009

OK, I failed the retard check, and Finchy called me on it.  I'll plead a
combination of sick and having a 2 and 6 year old having a royal rumble in
the computer room.

Anyways, real quick revisit on frag3 and stream:

Frag3 handles layer 3 (and specifically IP) fragmentation.  It reassembles
packets that have been fragmented as a result of MTU differences, or
intentionally by an attacker as an evasion technique.
Stream5 handles a few things.  Primarily it is responsible
for reassembling TCP segments (again, happens in normal traffic, but also
happens as an evasion technique).  It also sets up some structures on the
back end that allow the rules to query the flow direction and whether that
flow is going to the server or the client.  The rule option flow: to_server,
established; is possible in TCP rules because of the stream5 engine.  The
stream5 engine also performs a similar check on UDP traffic (no reassembly
necessary here) so we can do flow: to_server and flow: to_client on UDP
rules.

Sorry for the screw up, and thanks Joel for the gentle email :)

Matt