[Snort-users] Advice on Snort 2.8.x

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Fri Aug 21 13:55:30 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Richard Lichvar <rlichvar at ...14639...> wrote:

>  1.       We are on 2.8.0.2 (Build 75). Is there any real advantage to
> upgrading to 2.8.4?

There are always advantages to staying current with software.  Check out the
changelog between 2.8.0.2 and 2.8.4.  Included with 2.8.4.

> 2.       Will upgrading Barnyard2 interfere with 2.8.0.2 or should we
> upgrade to 2.8.4?

Barnyard2 should read the unified output module and input into your output
method desire.  Unified output hasn't changed in quite some time.

> 3.       We seem to be using PCRE version 6.6. What does this tell us?

That you are running PCRE version 6.6.  I don't understand what you are
asking.

> 4.       I notice there are MySql and other versions of Snort. How do I
> tell whether we are using the MySQL version or not? (We running on CentOS
> 5.2.)

How did you install Snort?  Through the tarball or via RPM?  If you
installed via the tarball, you would need to check your config.log file.  If
you installed via the RPM, run the command "rpm -q snort" on the command
line.

> Again, many thanks in advance for helping this Snort newbie.
>

> RichLich

-- Joel Esler | Sourcefire | Google Voice: 302-223-5974