[Snort-users] Snort/Barnyard Error

Richard Lichvar rlichvar at ...14639...
Fri Aug 21 10:21:11 EDT 2009

Pardon my ignorance, but to tell you the truth, I don't know. This thing
just got dumped in my lap after our security guy left and he didn't
leave any documentation as to what version of what is installed.

That said, how can I tell what version? The messages only say
"barnyard."

Also, I'm still fairly new to 'nix so I'm not too sure how to answer
those kinds of questions. (We don't use any kind of 'nix GUI.)

From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...1935...]
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 10:04 AM
To: Richard Lichvar
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort/Barnyard Error

Clarification, are you using barnyard, or barnyard2?

If the former, please use the latter.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Richard Lichvar <rlichvar at ...14639...>
wrote:

First of all, I'm not sure the original post came through correctly so
I'm reposting. (Think I let outlook autofill and got the -request
address. My apologies.)

Second, I'm a newbie to Snort not having worked with it in several years
(and then just dabbling in it) so I'm just coming up to speed. Also,
since this has to do with barnyard, I'm not sure this is the correct
forum in which to post this.

Now, to the problem:

Our Snort/IDS/syslogs (we use Splunk to collect/view) are getting
filled-up with a barnyard 2629 warning "unable to extract timestampe
file extension from 'snort.log.nnnnnn.' How we can fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

RichLich

------
Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
30-Day
trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
focus on
Snort-users
<https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users%0d%0aSnort-use
rs>  list archive:

-- Joel Esler | Sourcefire | Google Voice: 302-223-5974