[Snort-users] Considering using snort

Mark W. Jeanmougin mark.jeanmougin at ...14628...
Fri Aug 21 10:18:51 EDT 2009

Guy,

There's only one answer to this question: "It depends"

It depends on traffic load, application load, hardware spec's,
acceptable overhead, rule set, and all kinds of things that I probably
haven't even thought about.

But, I think you've answered the question in you post.  If you've been
running snort on your load balancer, and you're basically happy with
performance, then it sounds like the performance impact is acceptable.

If you want to get a good idea of the impact, you could setup a simple
cron job to run a "top -n 1" every so often, then grep the results for
snort.  This will tell you the amount of CPU time used by snort at
various points throughout the day.

It appears that my idea of a  "simple cron job" may differ from most
people's.  If you need help setting that up, just let me know!  :)

Happy Friday,

MJ