[Snort-users] Snort/Barnyard Error

Richard Lichvar rlichvar at ...14639...
Fri Aug 21 09:32:57 EDT 2009

First of all, I'm not sure the original post came through correctly so
I'm reposting. (Think I let outlook autofill and got the -request
address. My apologies.)

Second, I'm a newbie to Snort not having worked with it in several years
(and then just dabbling in it) so I'm just coming up to speed. Also,
since this has to do with barnyard, I'm not sure this is the correct
forum in which to post this.

Now, to the problem:

Our Snort/IDS/syslogs (we use Splunk to collect/view) are getting
filled-up with a barnyard 2629 warning "unable to extract timestampe
file extension from 'snort.log.nnnnnn.' How we can fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

RichLich