[Snort-users] Snort rule to monitor for a specific user login

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Thu Aug 13 18:20:51 EDT 2009

This is a problematic thing to discover and detect.  Not impossible, as
Nigel said, if you can see the data, you can write a rule to find it.  But
it can be difficult sometimes, at Sourcefire, we developed another product
to handle this for us.  We call it RUA.  (Real-Time User Awareness).
http://www.sourcefire.com/products/3D/rua

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jesse Lands <cryptograffiti at ...11827...>wrote:

> If you can see the data in network traffic, you can write a rule to find
>> it.
>>
>> --
>> Nigel Houghton
>> Head Mentalist
>> SF VRT
>> http://vrt-sourcefire.blogspot.com && http://www.snort.org/vrt/
>>

> I guess it would have helped if I was a little more specific.  I want to
> monitor for a list of Windows logins used across the network.  Users who
> don't have access or shouldn't anymore.  I have a list of logins that are in
> use, but don't have a central log collection and have to many computers to
> individually check each system.
>
> Thanks again
> Jesse

-- Joel Esler | Sourcefire | Google Voice: 302-223-5974