[Snort-users] Alert on web traffic instead of IP Address?

Matt Olney molney at ...1935...
Wed Aug 12 21:08:32 EDT 2009

If you have a list of domains you know to be bad, you could alert on
the DNS lookup of those names.  Just make sure you check the DNS
protocol.  I don't have my notes here, but to block bad.com, I believe
it would be something like:

alert udp $HOME_NET any -> $DNS_SERVERS 53 (msg:"Bad host name
detected"; flow: to_server; content:"|03|bad|03|com"; classtype:
bad-tarffic; sid: 10000000;)

Or something.  Unfortunately you need a separate rule for each domain,
the good news is that the format for DNS requests makes for a fairly
good fast-pattern match.

I think, haven't tested it, your mileage may very etc, ad nauseum

Matt