[Snort-users] inline mode works(seems) without compiling with --enable-inline option

Joel Ebrahimi joel.ebrahimi at ...11827...
Fri Aug 7 16:08:53 EDT 2009

I have always been curious how this works. Working for Bivio Networks I know
that there is a Snort IPS that Sourcefire uses on our platform but I was
never sure how they integrated it. Since our performance relies on pcap and
since our pcap is modified to drop packets I had assumed it was all handled
through pcap.
So does --enable-inline need to be used at all to initialize any of the drop
structures or mechanisms?

Would the keyword 'drop' still be able to be used from the rules just like
the -Q option is allowed ?

I don't actually see any of the Bivio specific API calls to drop packets. I
assuming this is not released in the general Snort release. Is this code
available or is it licensed differently then the available public Snort?

Thanks,

// Joel