[Snort-users] Grouping connections

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Mon Apr 27 10:28:13 EDT 2009


So, I think you need to define, to us, what you mean by "session"
"connection" and "packets".  Clearly, we are not understanding each other.
Joel

2009/4/27 Ulisses Araújo Costa <ulissesaraujocosta at ...11827...>

> One session have many connection. And one connection have many packets... I
> think the problem is that  don't explain what connection means to me...
>
>
> 2009/4/24 Ulisses Araújo Costa <ulissesaraujocosta at ...11827...>
>
>> I want identify connection not sessions. I want more detail:
>> connections...
>>
>> 2009/4/24 Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...>
>>
>> A session is made up of connections.  Now I am throughly confused about
>>> what you are asking for.
>>> J
>>>
>>> 2009/4/24 Ulisses Araújo Costa <ulissesaraujocosta at ...11827...>
>>>
>>> Joel Esler, with 'tag:session' I just can identify the session. I want be
>>>> able to identify connections.
>>>>
>>>> 2009/4/23 Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...>
>>>>
>>>> The fact that the alert took place tells you that flow X <> Y happened.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> J
>>>>>
>>>>> 2009/4/22 Ulisses Araújo Costa <ulissesaraujocosta at ...11827...>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Leon,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> what I want is to record that the request X have the response Y. What
>>>>>> I explained, is that probably the request X is just a packet, but the
>>>>>> response Y is 4 packets. The only thing I want to know is that the flow X <>
>>>>>> Y happened.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2009/4/22 Leon Ward <seclists at ...14165...>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Sorry I don't think I understand what you are asking. Can you share
>>>>>>> the goal you are trying to achieve rather than the method you are trying to
>>>>>>> resolve it by?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> >The idea is make Snort just consider that as 2 states (me making the
>>>>>>> request and google sending the response). The problem is I want to make that
>>>>>>> to connections, not sessions.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> If you need to differentiate between data in each flow direction,
>>>>>>> take a look at "flow".
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> -Leon
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 2009/4/22 Ulisses Araújo Costa <ulissesaraujocosta at ...11827...>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Joel,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> that's what I said:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> "
>>>>>>>> The problem is I want to make that to connections, not sessions.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> If it was sessions I can use the 'flag' keyword.
>>>>>>>> "
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> But I *don't* want sessions.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> 2009/4/22 Joel Esler <jesler at ...1935...>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Take a look at the tag keyword.
>>>>>>>>> http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_htmanuals/htmanual_284/node373.html
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> The flags keyword simply will trigger on the presence of certain
>>>>>>>>> TCP flags set in the packet.  This is probably not what you want.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> J
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> 2009/4/22 Ulisses Araújo Costa <ulissesaraujocosta at ...11827...>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>  Hello,
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I'm using Snort in a project. I'm wondering if with Snort I can
>>>>>>>>>> group packets from the same connection. For example: if I request
>>>>>>>>>> google.com, I just send one packet but the response came in
>>>>>>>>>> (imagine) 4 packets. The idea is make Snort just consider that as 2 states
>>>>>>>>>> (me making the request and google sending the response). The problem is I
>>>>>>>>>> want to make that to connections, not sessions.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> If it was sessions I can use the 'flag' keyword. Now I'm seeing if
>>>>>>>>>> the way is using preprocessors, in this case the HTTP preprocessor.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Can you help me?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Best Regards,
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>> Ulisses Costa - http://caos.di.uminho.pt/~ulisses/<http://caos.di.uminho.pt/%7Eulisses/>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>> Stay on top of everything new and different, both inside and
>>>>>>>>>> around Java (TM) technology - register by April 22, and save
>>>>>>>>>> $200 on the JavaOne (SM) conference, June 2-5, 2009, San
>>>>>>>>>> Francisco.
>>>>>>>>>> 300 plus technical and hands-on sessions. Register today.
>>>>>>>>>> Use priority code J9JMT32. http://p.sf.net/sfu/p
>>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>>> Snort-users mailing list
>>>>>>>>>> Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>>>>>>>>>> Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
>>>>>>>>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users
>>>>>>>>>> Snort-users<https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users%0ASnort-users>list archive:
>>>>>>>>>> http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>> joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... |
>>>>>>>>> 302-223-5974 | http://twitter.com/joelesler
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> Ulisses Costa - http://caos.di.uminho.pt/~ulisses/<http://caos.di.uminho.pt/%7Eulisses/>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>> Stay on top of everything new and different, both inside and
>>>>>>>> around Java (TM) technology - register by April 22, and save
>>>>>>>> $200 on the JavaOne (SM) conference, June 2-5, 2009, San Francisco.
>>>>>>>> 300 plus technical and hands-on sessions. Register today.
>>>>>>>> Use priority code J9JMT32. http://p.sf.net/sfu/p
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> Snort-users mailing list
>>>>>>>> Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>>>>>>>> Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
>>>>>>>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users
>>>>>>>> Snort-users<https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users%0ASnort-users>list archive:
>>>>>>>> http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Ulisses Costa - http://caos.di.uminho.pt/~ulisses/<http://caos.di.uminho.pt/%7Eulisses/>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974
>>>>> | http://twitter.com/joelesler
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Ulisses Costa - http://caos.di.uminho.pt/~ulisses/<http://caos.di.uminho.pt/%7Eulisses/>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974 |
>>> http://twitter.com/joelesler
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Ulisses Costa - http://caos.di.uminho.pt/~ulisses/<http://caos.di.uminho.pt/%7Eulisses/>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Ulisses Costa - http://caos.di.uminho.pt/~ulisses/
>



-- 
joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974 |
http://twitter.com/joelesler
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.snort.org/pipermail/snort-users/attachments/20090427/fde451ff/attachment.html>


More information about the Snort-users mailing list