[Snort-users] open source vs. GPL

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Tue Apr 14 18:30:47 EDT 2009

I (and Sourcefire) wouldn't be writing hundreds of thousands of lines
of code just for a licensing exercise, we could easily scrub Snort's
existing code base of contributed code if we wanted to and save
ourselves the time and effort.  To get Snort where I want it to go as
a technology requires a rewrite and there are engineering reasons for
doing so.

I think my response regarding spo_database was sufficient related to
the latency of the module and its impact on packet processing.

On the licensing I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Marty