[Snort-users] open source vs. GPL

Loyal A Moses loyalmoses at ...3027...
Tue Apr 14 17:45:06 EDT 2009

It's classic foolery with the use of the words "open source".

Snort today is a product that you can fork, and go sell if you like as
long as you adhere to the GPL license.

Snort tomorrow (version 3) is not going to allow you to fork and go
sell should you wish, because Sourcefire is changing it's licensing,
which arguably they actually can't do with the current GPL'd snort.
Thus the reason why Marty has stated that they have developed version
3 will 100% non-contributed code. Which is an amazing task, that I
would love to have seen.