[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Loyal A Moses loyalmoses at ...3027...
Tue Apr 14 17:06:39 EDT 2009

Marty,

Do you mean open source as in GPL or equivalent or as in we can all
read the source?

A quote from you:

"We're also saying that people who want to
contribute code to the project do so with the knowledge that we're
going to consider the code as assigned to Sourcefire unless other
arrangements are made."

That doesn't sound so "open source" to me and more like a charade.

And another quote in the same posting by you:

"Given that we need to be able to offer Snort under an alternative
license for commercial integrators who are integrating Snort and
don't want to adhere to the GPL it's essential that we retain the
right to relicense the totality of the codebase."

Now, there is the real reason.

Just be direct and communicate that version 3 will not be GPL and
Sourcefire will now retain all rights. Unless you plan on having two
source branches with zero intellectual-property cross over and
licensed independently.

I am not hostile towards the concept. The concept is business and it
is what it is.

Loyal.