[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Loyal A Moses loyalmoses at ...3027...
Tue Apr 14 16:36:29 EDT 2009

As I just said in an earlier mailing list response, it is open source
until version 3.

This is my original line of comments on the NEW direction Sourcefire
was taking.

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2007-07/0047.html

The product itself is not at all the debate. Snort as a product is
great, and I believe that Marty has done an excellent job developing
the majority of what is quite obviously the worlds most widely used
intrusion detection system.

The argument on direction is one of open source vs. commercially
owned. We've seen this a dozen or more times over.

A little story...

Jack is an open source buff who believes in free software for the
world, so he builds and releases it GPL or equivalent. Then one day,
he needs to feed his family from his open source fame, but doesn't
have the rights to the software as he wants, because it was released
open source and there are hundreds of contributors to the success of
the application. So a simple little plan is hatched to slowly and ever
so slightly change the licensing and take ownership of contributions
and limit the use of these components, then create an all new version
X that apparently is 100% written from the ground up with absolutely
zero contributed code. Hmmmm...

If you don't quite understand the little story, do read some of the
older snort mailing list entries to get a feel for how every signature
contributed or otherwise is now licensed by Sourcefire.

As I said, they are going to do what they are going to do.