[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at ...14358...
Tue Apr 14 16:16:56 EDT 2009

Sourcefire develops and provides snort, to the community, for free.  They do
*not* develop ancilliary apps for free.  If you want a coordinated, polished
interface, you buy Sourcefire (as we have.)  If you want an open source
build-your-own IDS, you install snort *plus* whatever additional pieces you
want.  It isn't Sourcefire's responsibility to develop ancilliary tools for
snort, although they do some work in that area and encourage others to do it as
well.

As to your "we've seen it before" comment, I think you have to look at the
performance of Sourcefire since the company was established.  You would have to
admit, then, that Marty has managed to sustain his goal of continuous
development of the open source product alongside the proprietary one with a
minimum of disruptions.  The only change has been in the timing of rules
releases, and that is a small price to pay for such an accomplished product.
Those rules are written by Sourcefire engineers to serve their customers and
provided to the community free of charge, with a slight delay.

I think that is commendable, and I thank Marty for his contributions to the
open source community and his sterling example of how to maintain open source
products while creating a commercially viable company.

Besides, you can always write your own rules or use emerging threats and other
sources for rules.

As to whether it's smart to discuss development on a public list, their source
code is freely available.  It's kind of hard to hide the direction of their
development.

--On Tuesday, April 14, 2009 14:35:33 -0500 Loyal A Moses <loyalmoses at ...3027...>
wrote:

> Is Sourcefire limited on development skill or man power?
>
> It makes no sense at all to remove one of the most common facilities
> in use by snort users because it is "too complex".
>
> In the end, you'll do what you are going to do regardless of the
> community -- we've seen it before. But don't use "complexity" and
> "bugs" as the excuse.
>
> Sourcefire is a publicly traded company -- Is it smart to be taking
> votes on product development from a mailing list? I wouldn't think so.
>
> Loyal.
>
> On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Jason Brvenik wrote:
>
>> I have an ulterior motive and it is simple.
>>
>> Many of the bugs and issues over time with snort have been in output
>> plugins. Make one well supported, tested, unified method designed for
>> best performance and while doing so it improves the supportability and
>> maintainability of the code base.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Loyal A Moses <loyalmoses at ...3027...>
>> wrote:
>>> My vote is to provide as many output options as possible, to help
>>> keep
>>> snort used as a tool.
>>>
>>> The argument of code complexity being a good reason to remove output
>>> facilities is only valid if the code is written poorly and not
>>> modular. This wheel doesn't need re-invented and this conversation is
>>> kind of silly, unless there is ulterior motives for actually wanting
>>> to remove this support.
>>>
>>> Loyal.

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst