[Snort-users] v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue Apr 14 16:11:35 EDT 2009

No one is taking a vote, we just said, "if we had a vote in it..."  I'd
rather take the code out of the IDS/IPS and put it into an output module.
 One that is maintained well (as Shawn said).
Snort is an open source program, I don't see harm in discussion on Snort's
own mailing lists do you?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Loyal A Moses <loyalmoses at ...3027...> wrote:

> Is Sourcefire limited on development skill or man power?
>
> It makes no sense at all to remove one of the most common facilities
> in use by snort users because it is "too complex".
>
> In the end, you'll do what you are going to do regardless of the
> community -- we've seen it before. But don't use "complexity" and
> "bugs" as the excuse.
>
> Sourcefire is a publicly traded company -- Is it smart to be taking
> votes on product development from a mailing list? I wouldn't think so.
>
> Loyal.
>
> On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Jason Brvenik wrote:
>
> > I have an ulterior motive and it is simple.
> >
> > Many of the bugs and issues over time with snort have been in output
> > plugins. Make one well supported, tested, unified method designed for
> > best performance and while doing so it improves the supportability and
> > maintainability of the code base.
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Loyal A Moses <loyalmoses at ...3027...>
> > wrote:
> >> My vote is to provide as many output options as possible, to help
> >> keep
> >> snort used as a tool.
> >>
> >> The argument of code complexity being a good reason to remove output
> >> facilities is only valid if the code is written poorly and not
> >> modular. This wheel doesn't need re-invented and this conversation is
> >> kind of silly, unless there is ulterior motives for actually wanting
> >> to remove this support.
> >>
> >> Loyal.

joel esler | Sourcefire | gtalk: jesler at ...1935... | 302-223-5974